Job Title: Assistant Librarian
Department: Youth Services
JOB PURPOSE: Under the direction of the Department Head, support the overall mission of the library by effectively providing library services to customers and their caregivers.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Provide customer-focused in-person and virtual reference and reader’s advisory services to children from birth-eighth grade and their caregivers.
2. Assist with maintaining the circulating children’s and teen’s collections in collaboration with Youth Services professional staff.
3. Prepare and merchandize department displays and continually maintain interactive areas.
4. Assist in planning and presenting diverse and creative programs for children and their caregivers, including story time, craft programs, technology classes and other activities that support literacy and creativity.
5. Assist Youth Services professional staff to plan, promote and provide outreach services for area schools, preschools, daycares and community organizations. 6. Prepare booklists, website information, and promotional literature as assigned.
7. Ensure all policies and procedures of the Barrington Area Library are followed.
8. Serve on planning committees and attend library meetings as requested.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
• Knowledge of and enthusiasm for children’s literature.
• Familiarity with current technology.
• Ability and aptitude to teach and educate customers and staff in one-on-one or group situations.
• Ability to strategically balance the Library’s goals and the customer needs.
• Ability to use creative problem-solving with a focus on "yes" to meet the customer's needs.
• Ability to perform basic computer troubleshooting skills. Ability to work rotating and various work shifts including evenings and weekends.
• Ability to travel locally.
Competency: To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ability to multi-task and problem-solve while assisting customers.
• Ability to enhance the customers experience through exceptional service.
• Ability to continually represent the Library’s image by providing best solution strategies that gratify both the customer and the library.
• Assist the facilitation of projects and programs successfully.
• Ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external customers.
• Learn and utilize the library’s technology and procedures.
Education and/or Other Requirements:
• Completion of bachelor’s degree.
• Relevant work experience is preferred.
• Frequently required to see, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk and hear.
• Physical dexterity to reach shelves of various heights, push full carts and lift heavy containers occasionally during a work shift.
• Ability to read, write and communicate fluently in English.
• Dexterity to perform data entry on a computer, lap top, iPad or other electronic device.
• Visual acuity sufficient to read print in 8 point font.
Note: This job description describes a general category of jobs. In order to meet the needs of the Barrington Area Library or its departments, employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above, and any duties are subject to change at any time.
The Barrington Area Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library will review any reasonable request for accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Interested? Download and complete the PDF application, then email it along with a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.