BAL on Facebook BAL on Twitter BAL YouTube Channel BAL Local History's photostream

twitter talk

Lines History-Part 3

Use the library's Personal Name Index or FIND button on the toolbar to search for words in the text.

Contents | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6

Barrington Public Schools

In 1840, six years after the coming of the first white settlers hereabouts, there was a demand for organized school work. The U.S. Government Land Ordinance of 1785 provided that in all new townships carved out of public lands in the west, "there shall be reserved lot number sixteen in every township for the maintenance of public schools in that township." The Ordinance of 1787 which was to govern this area Northwest of the Ohio River said "Religion, morality and knowledge being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall be forever encouraged."

On November 23, 1840, a notice signed by four settlers was sent out and posted stating that on December 14, 1840, at the house of William Otis (just east of the present E.J. & E. Ry. viaduct) there would be held an election to "incorporate the township" for school purposes and divide it into school districts and elect school trustees. (In between those two dates, on November 30, at the home of Alvah Miller was held what was probably a booster meeting to perfect plans.) Jesse P. Miller and William Van Orsdall were judges and Homer Willmarth was clerk at the election. Seventeen votes were cast for organization and one against.

It is most interesting in this day of elections in closed private booth under the Australian Ballot System that a Ballot Book was kept by the Election Board and all voters openly declared their choice viva voice, and it was so recorded in the proper column on the book by the Clerk of Election "so as to show how he voted."

Pursuant to the Ordinances of 1785 and 1787 our Illinois Statute said that "section 16 in every township granted to the State, by the United States, for the use of the inhabitants of the township for the use of schools shall be held and considered as common school lands" and were "under the general care and superintendence of the county commissioners" who were to appoint three Trustees of School Lands of each township, each "taking an oath to execute his duties." A County Commissioner of Schools was to be elected biennially under the rules of the County Commissioners' Court and give bond annually.

The School Commissioners could sell common school lands when so petitioned on an affidavit of two-thirds of the "reputable citizens of a township as to the number of white male inhabitants over twenty-one years of age." (page 264 Statutes of 1841, Sec. 22). School money could be loaned and 12 percent was fixed as the rate of interest "payable semi-annually in advance." It said that teachers were paid out of this interest fund, and every teacher was "entitled to an equal portion of the district funds according to the time and scholars taught; provided that no teacher shall be paid more than the amount agreed to be allowed by the employer."

Five Trustees were elected: Phillip Hawley Sr., Homer Willmarth, Thomas Perkins, John C. Allen and William Graves. On January 9, 1841, they met and organized, Homer Willmarth being chosen Chairman and Alvah Miller, Secretary.

At this meeting on January 9th in the Miller Grove school house, the township was divided into five districts. Here where the village now is, was District No. 1, which was all of the east half of the township, No. 2 being in the northwest corner, No. 3 in the west central and No. 4 in the southwest corner of the township. District No. 5 was formed afterward and Part District No. 1 was formed in 1845 which in 1868 became Union District No. 10, mentioned further on.

The first money in the school treasury was from.the sale of part of the school lands and was turned over to the School Trustees at its organization meeting.

Before the advent of the village of Barrington, a country school house built of logs in 1846 or 1847 stood on West County Line Road (now West Main Street) on the Cuba Township side just west of Hough street about where the Catlow Theatre is. Mr. Garret Landwer said he came here before the village of Barrington was thought of, platted or laid out; just prairie, groves, one road and two farm houses. With others, Mr. Landwer walked across the grass prairies from his home at what is now Hillside and Division Streets to the log schoolhouse. He said that Lester D. Castle was his teacher and that later Ansel K. Townsend was a teacher there; that Cassius Beverly taught him Engish and that he taught Mr. Beverly German.

The village having been laid out in 1854 and the railroad coming that same year, a school house was built the following year on South Hough Street on the Barrington Township side. It was a two-story frame structure with one room upstairs and one room down, and stood in about the center of the present Hough school yard on the same spot in which it is shown as the west wing of the old three wing school seen in a winter picture. A closed-in stair was built on the back end to the west some time after its original construction, probably as a fire escape, but was too rickety and full of discarded equipment for use in the days your author remembers since 1888.

Therefore, the community had two schools and two school districts until the time of the village's incorporation, No. 9 on the Cuba Side and "Part District No. 1" on the Barrington side --- the log school house on the Lake County side of West County Line Road and the two story frame school house on South Hough Street on the Cook County side. Both were apparently outside of the platted village at that time.

The pioneer log school house and site were sold for $222.27 and became, it is said, Capt. Sabin/s saloon. In 1866 two lots were bought at what is now 320 E. Washington Street from H. Seymour for $210.00 and a new frame school house was built for $1,569.07. It still stands and is a residence. After the consolidation of the two districts as Union District No. 10 on Oct. 2, 1868 -- after plenty of argument and discussion -- the "North Side School" was used as a sort of a high school by the pupils who had finished the grammar school in the "South Side School." They attended there, "learning all the schoolmaster knew and then just quit." without any form of graduation for it was not a complete high school nor accredited.

Besides Lester D. Castle and Ansel K. Townsend, another teacher of the log school was Ira J. Chase in 1859 who married L.D. Castle's sister and was later a preacher and also Lt. Gov. of Indiana. Other teachers of this school listed by Andreas are Miss R.A. Sargent and Henry C. Allen in 1860, Miss Sarah E. Bennett and Bryan W. Cadwell in 1861, Miss Emma Hoyt in 1862 and 1863, Miss Mary J. Dunton in 1864 and Miss Margaret M. Graves in 1865.

In 1866 the new school house on Washington Street was occupied and former students name for us the following teachers: Miss Charlotte Castle in 1866, C.D. Walker in 1867, Frances M. Ford and Wesley Trevell in 1868, L.D. Miller for a part of 1869 and R.O. Dunning for the rest of the year. In 1870, the much loved L.H. Hayman took over for three years and it is said that from his time on the teacher at the North Side School was principal of both schools. In 1873 David Heagle came for two months, then C. J. Allen took over through that year, the next year, and into 1875, when Dexter A. Smith took charge. After him in 1876 came Jesse M. Dunn, W.D. Simonds (1877-79), Ledoit Derby (1879-1880), Chas. H. Austin (1880-83), who married one of his pupils, Miss Luella Hawley, became a lawyer and remained here till he died.

The two room school house on the present Hough Street site was not large enough as the village grew, and the overflow was sent to the St. Paul's School (so-called Lutheran) on East Main Street. Four times in the history of the school a church has had to be rented to house the overflow from the growing school. On June 5th in 1883 a contract was signed by Gotlieb Heimerdinger, M.B. McIntosh, and Charles P. Hawley as School Directors of Union District No. 10, and by Urial R. Burlingham and C.H. Smith, builders, to erect "on or before September 1, 1883," the new north and the south and the center wings of the Hough Street School" conformable to the drawings and specifications made by Albert Gleason, Architect "...for the sum of three thousand seven hundred dollars."

Before we abandon the Washington Street school, we should list, for old times sake, some of the students: Flora Davis (A.W.) Meyer, August W. Meyer, Charles Royce, Lottie Castle Coltrin, Myrtle Loomis Gillette, Zoa Sizer Meyer, Emma Robertson Redmond, Hattie Brown Porter, Cora Leonard, Martha Leonard, Clark and Wayland McIntosh, Ada Powers Blakesley, Lizzie and Carrie Dunne, Emma Dunne Collins, Miles Lamey, Mary Barnett Collen, Ida Dodge Castle, Deborah Cooper, Jane T. Yaker, Ledoit Bishop, Ralph Kennicott, Jim Moorehouse, J.C. Nate, Ben and Perley Castle, Jack Creet, Ida Blair, John Dodge, Phillip and Charles Hawley, Walter J.Harrower, Vina Dunning Burkett, Ada Nate McIntosh, Carrie Hawley Kendall, Jennie Hawley Powers, Luella Hawley Austin, Frank O. Willmarth, Jennie Sharman, Emma Barnett Brockway, Mary Frye Gieske, Laura Frye Stiefenhoefer, Minnie Meyer Hawley, Albert L. Robertson, Cora Dunne Arnold, Maude Filkins Castle, Jennie Townsend Cove, May Farrar Harrower, Chas. L. Edgerton, Nettie Lombard, Wm. Forkel, Laura Brown Nightingale, Mary Hamilton Pomeroy.

When the three wing school house on South Hough Street was finished, there was room for the pupils of the Washington Street School on the north side and the overflow in the two churches and two rooms to spare. Thereupon the Washington Street building was sold by M.B. McIntosh, auctioneer, for $800.00.

Mr. A.O. Coddington was the first principal in the enlarged building (1883-85), and following him were: Chas. J. Dodge (1885-89), L.B. Easton (1890), Fred E. Smith (1893), then N.M. Banta and S.J. Fulton. Erman S. Smith came in 1908 and retired to private life here in Barrington on June 30, 1944. Succeeding him came Franklin Cramer Thomas on July 1, 1944; he loved to call his predecessor "Supt. Emeritus." "Prof." Smith was still deeply interested in school matters and attended all school functions till his death August 27, 1956.

Members of the first graduating class, which was in 1888, were: Mary Clarke Nightingale, Walter T. Harrower, Will Barnett, Elmer DeVol, George Spunner, Zoa Jayne Moorehouse, Belle Dohmeyer McCabe, May Whitney Rockenback, Stella Clark, and Florence Sizer Flint.

The next class was in 1890: Maud Otis Robertson, William T. Dawson, Jennie Jayne, Laura Frye Stiefenhoefer, Mamie Hitchinson Barker, Effie Runyon, Bertha Sawyer. Class of 1891 were: Frank Robertson, Margaret Jennie Crowley, Alice Leone Hawley, Belle Clark, Glenn Roy Hawley. There was no class in 1892, but in 1893 there were: Grace Lenore Peck, Lydia Robertson Lytle, S. Newton Meier, Gertrude Clara Meyer Schwemm, and Alma Winter. The graduates of the class of 1895 were: Nell Dawson, Nell Lines Robertson, Edith Cannon Hawley, Myrtle Robertson Hutchinson, Clara Sodt Christianson, Clara Generaux Fackelman, Albert G. Cieske, George M. Otis, R. Max Lines, Roy C. Myers, Myrtle Dixon and Theodore Suhr.

A class was graduated every year after that from what was only a two year high school course until the class of 1904 ended the two year course. For many years there were two grades in each room, one class reciting while the other was supposed to be studying and not listening to the recitation.

The Old Frame School House

What a memory we have of that old frame school house on Hough Street with its large dark hallway in the center section with winding stairways and the wide smooth banisters that afforded the boys a hasty exit when school was out. The original wood chunk stoves (wood piles were way out in the backyard) were later replaced by the hard coal base burners seven feet high. Pupils in the rear of the room suffered with the cold while those in the front of the room roasted, till a jacket was put around the stoves. We never had a teacher who could not see through that stove and know who was committing the cut-up on the other side of it.

The teacher of St. Paul's Parochial School carried a coiled leather strap in his hip pocket for frequent use; a principal in the Public School kept a tapered rubber hose in the library office., Sometimes he used an inch thick oak slat from a seat; even the drinking dipper was once used as a persuader. At one time a.husky man was hired for an upper room as a good disciplinarian for a lively group of older boys. His persuader was a broom handle or anything similar. Parents nearby could hear their children scream, and he hastily left one night, urged on in an unusual way.

A wooden bucket and a tin dipper sat on a shelf in the rear of the school room for the thirsty; the fact is that we were thereby always relieved of monotony. We had to buy our own slates, pencils, two kinds of tablets and our books, which were either hand-me-downs, or new or second-handed bought at the store. The school now furnishes all that on a rental basis, which is cheaper to the parent. Some had pencil boxes which at times f ell to the board floor with a clattering noise that again broke the monotony. In the primary room in 1888 we had "carved" seats wide enough for two at each desk.

Our earliest recollection of janitors was Dick Earith. He was followed by the much loved and good natured Charles Senn, then by Henry S. "Grandpa" Meier. The lone custodian in care of the six rooms and halls and stairs and walks had six fires to look after and bank for the night, done mostly after four o'clock when school was out; with no electric lights until 1898. The janitors' equipment consisted of a broom, a dust pan, a pail and a feather duster. When coal came he did not have to carry half length cord wood any more, but he did have to carry in scuttles of coal (some called them hods of coal) to each of the six rooms, some up stairs too. Ashes had to be shaken down and carefully shoveled out and carried away. We had a well out in the front yard about where the north hard maple tree is now. While Dick Earith was digging that well, Frank Dohmeyer fell in on top of him, somewhat to the annoyance of both.

We had two play grounds, one on the south side for the girls, and one at the west and north for the boys. There was a tight board fence between the two play yards.

The old bell rope was a mixture of joy and sorrow. It hung from the belfry on the roof down through the attic and the upper floor to the first floor, and what a treat and honor it was to be allowed to ring it for the principal if he were busy. One Halloween it was pulled out over the roof and tied to a cow, which kept the bell ringing all night while she grazed on what grass there was on an educated lawn.

Brick School Built

Again the school was overcrowded and classes were meeting across the street in the Zion Church building. Therefore, the frame school house was cut into four pieces, sold as residences which are still in use. A new brick building 120 feet by 65 feet was erected in 1905 on the same spot for $35,000.00. That building is the center section of the present Hough Street School.

There were no graduation classes in 1905 and 1906, but in 1907 we had our first four-year high school graduation class, and have had an increasing sized class every year since.

The third overflow went to the Salem Church basement, and caused the addition of the north wing and the gymnasium. It was built by an out of town contractor in 1924. That section was completed and occupied in September of 1925. Some years afterward a stream of water was discovered running from under the gym steps out across the sidewalk. It was found that the building had been placed over an old lawn hydrant which for some reason had not been removed.

In 1936 another crowded condition threatened to put classes in the attic, making it really a three story building, which was deemed by the Board of Education to be unwise. It was during the big depression and WPA labor was available. Negotiations were had with the government for labor and some material. In 1937 the three story fireproof south wing was finished. Percy R. Drover was on the Board at that time, as also was the late Carl Billings. They spent half of every day on the job watching every detail toward a satisfactory completion.

In spite of the growing pains and the frequent crowded condition in a small district which limited the financial backing for expansion, Erman S. Smith did a good job of maintaining the high standard of the schools, turning out quality production. That was truly one of the attractions -- and still is -- that drew newcomers to our community. He kept the school needs constantly before us for many years. He put in a great deal of effort to expand and meet the demand for better school f acuities. His ideals were high and everyone felt his inspiration.

A Separate High School

But the demand for a bigger and better high school was growing. The small district under the old unit law could not finance it. So-called missionaries were constantly out beating the neighboring brush for supporters of the idea. Dr. W.C. Reavis of the University of Chicago was called in for a complete survey of the area. His very comprehensive report said that expansion of our educational facilities was not only necessary but could well be supported. Sentiment, opinion, and the feeling of assurance grew until an election was held March 30, 1946, and a new community high school district was into existence by a vote of 1124 in favor and 149 against. On April 27, 1946, a five-man high school board of education was elected. Corliss D. Anderson and Edwin W. Plagge, who both withdrew from the elementary board, Albert Krunfus, Thomas Z. Hayward and Richard Sturtevant. The next step was the consolidation of the Barrington High School and the Cuba Township High school district No. 123, which had already been organized for some years with no school building as yet. The election of May 18, 1946, authorized the Consolidated High School District No. 224 by a vote on the Barrington side of 307 to 4 against, and on the Cuba side of 278 for and 132 against. The district covered all of Cuba Township and two thirds of Barrington Township, a large portion on the west being non-high area. This election for a consolidated high school also authorized a board of seven; and Herbert Kappel and Willard Richardson of Cuba Township were elected, along with the first mentioned five members, of the Community High School Board of Education; Corliss D. Anderson was president and Edwin H. Plagge was secretary.

On February 8, 1947, was held an election to choose a site for the new high school. The result was 1013 for the H.S. Hart property on West Main Street on the Lake County side, 395 for that triangular piece north of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway and south of the Northwest Highway and west of the Northside Park, and six voted for the Sturtz property south of Monument Avenue.

Authority to purchase the site, to issue bonds and to build were also granted. Therefore seventy acres of the Hart property were bought for $37,000.00. Some complained at so large a tract being bought. The fear seems to have been that unless the tract stretched far to the north, detracting occupation might creep in there and the land was cheaper then than it would be later. With the expansion of the school, athletic fields, playgrounds and parking, time is proving the Board's wisdom. Bonds were issued for the site and building amounting to $940,000.00 but construction prices were climbing fast at that time, and it was seen that the necessary building project as planned could not be completed for the bond issue authorized. Therefore an increase of $328,000.00 was authorized for bonds at the election of June 12, 1948, by a decision of 388 to 71.

The Consolidated High School Board of Education went at their big task in a careful and scientific way. The best of authorities were consulted on location, educational needs and the most fitting type of building allowing for future planning. Perkins and Will, Architects, put into the specifications all the latest and finest features, and through their study we profited by avoiding the errors of others. On July 10, 1948, ground was broken at a fitting ceremony. Engineer George Gilfeather watched the construction almost daily. It was most interesting to observe the great amount of wires, pipes, conduits and fixtures that were put into and behind those smooth marble walls. On September 12, 1949, classes began in the new building. A vision of years had come true. The reality was there. The responsibility that had been handed to that Board of Education was tremendous. No one but those seven faithful and capable men and Mr. F.C. Thomas, then Superintendent of our schools, will ever know the endless work and detail, time spent and money saved, or the burning of more than the midnight oil that was necessary to make that the finished product of which we may all be justly proud.

While this construction of the high school was going on, a west portion of Barrington Township which had so long been a part of non-high territory, was joined to High School District No. 224 in 1948 and 1950. Two months later three and a quarter sections of Algonquin Township voted to come into the Barrington High School District. Then some of the non-high area at the southwest was added, making the total area about 55 1/2 square miles.

In February, 1955, the election, by a vote of 880 to 117 out of 1074 votes cast, granted a bond issue of $850,000.00; the High School building was much enlarged by a new wing to the west connecting the gymnasium which received additions and better facilities, and a second story was added to the original building at the north end. This addition gave many more classrooms, shops and laboratories. In September, 1956, it was occupied and open house was held in November of that year.

In 1959 an addition to the east for twenty-three classrooms, an auxiliary gymnasium and an auditorium at a bonding permission of $1,600,000.00, allowed by vote November 8, 1958, was begun and finished for occupancy in the fall of 1960.

Geographical Growth

The Community Consolidated Elementary School on Hough Street has had a steady growth in its grounds and district area. Back in 1855 when the school yard was only a small patch not extending either to Lake Street or to Lincoln Avenue, a triangular piece with a frontage of about twenty-two feet was added to the north side of the original irregular shaped piece to bring it up to what was being planned for Lake Street extended west. Probably at the same time, May 24, 1883, was added at the south side of it on the corner of Lincoln Avenue the two by ten rod lot known as the Mrs. Lutz home. The Robert Nightingale home west of that was added some time later, and in January, 1936, were added the Tim Peckham and the Ben Freye homes, lots number three and four respectively of the M.B. McIntosh subdivision of lot 22.

In the nineteen forties there was an increasing feeling, along with the authorities of the State of Illinois, that, for the best educational purposes, there were too many small country schools. In 1945 there were almost ten thousand one room country schools, authorities said, most of them having ten or less pupils. In order to get the best advantages of a larger village school, the movement toward consolidation began which was further intensified by the County Survey Committees appointed by the State to investigate, advise and aid in the proper direction of this action. It is a pleasure to note that attorney John Babb of our community was a very capable and active member of that work on the Cook County Survey Committee. In a very few years the number of one room country schools was reduced, we are told, to less than two thousand.

What Happened to the Country School?

On June 1, 1946, the following three schools voted to consolidate with the "Village School" District No. 4: District No. 5, the Lageschulte School (the previous election of December 29, 1945 failed by one vote), the lot reverting to Vernon Lageschulte and the building later selling for, $2179.00 for a Plum Grove residence; No. 9, the Humphrey School on West Algonquin Road near Penny Road, lot and building selling for $8,200.00; No. 12, Deer Grove School at the edge of the forest preserve on Ela between Hillside and Northwest Highway, sold as a residence for $9,300.00. On August 29, 1947, the 3200-acre White School District No. 90 came in by petition, that building and lot also selling as a residence; on August 29, 1948, district No. 8, the Waterman School at Penny and Bartlett Roads, came in after lengthy negotiations on the title, the school house and lot later being sold to the McCormicks for $4,000.00. On February 11, 1950, the Kelsey District No. 25 voted to come into District No. 4, which added 1920 acres; its school house and lot at the Northeast corner of Kelsey Road and Route 22 was later sold to the Quaker Oats Company. On May 31, 1949, a tract of about 560 acres along Deerpath Poad in Ela Township on the County Line Road withdrew from District No. 95 and joined the Barrington District as their market, social center and railroad station. In returning to Palatine No. 15 an agreed hook east of the old Deer Grove School, an additional 880 acres east and west of Ela Road petitioned on July 26, 1949, to leave Barrington No. 4 and join Palatine. About the same time a large chunk of the Deer Grove area came into our High School District No. 224.

The new law on consolidation was tested in Quo Warranto proceedings by District No. 89 with High School District No. 224 co-operating, and the Illinois Supreme Court granted a favorable decision. In this consolidation of the districts, Barrington District No. 4 gained about 8,240 acres and the Countryside District No. 1 gained about 1,720 acres while No. 4 lost about 900 to Palatine, making District No. 4 an area of about twenty-five square miles with a valuation of approximately $15,000,000.00. Back in 1866 the valuation of the district No. 4 on the Barrington Township side was $41,180.00 and on the Cuba side it was $15,948.00. The total value in 1959 was $39,849,979.00.

On January 28, 1954, the west half of the Bruns District No. 10 joined our District No. 4 as also did a part of the Loomis District No. 43 in May of 1957. The modern red brick Loomis school house on Old Higgins Road west of Barrington Road was sold at public auction for a residence at a price of $9,590.00 on August 5, 1961 -- the last country school house in Cook County.

Advisory Council

There has always been too little attention paid by the public to its educational work until there is a call for increased taxes. In 1951 the Elementary Board of Education deemed that an Advisory Council would call forth a helpful opinion of the people's wishes for our educational work and needs, and our ability to pay for them. An Advisory Council composed of thirty-two persons from a cross section of the community was appointed. It met and organized on April 18, 1951. Mr. K.K. Lilien was the first chairman and followed by Mr. Walter Johnson. Mrs. David Capulli was the first Secretary, followed by Mrs. Walter E. Meyer. This organization found, after a thorough research, a crying need for some things in a school for which they thought the Board of Education would be justified in spending money.

They approved of salaries, methods and advanced curriculum, but they found an extreme lack of space. Their census committee worked up a large map of the district showing the ages of the pupils, both pre-school and in school. It showed the growth ahead, plus any influx of new residents -- which always surpassed the estimates -- that demanded more class rooms. Future planning predicted that the Hough Street School building might be, in time, used for a central Junior High School, and some K-6 pupils, and that the spread of the village would warrant new buildings for K-6 use on the periphery of the present village.

The result, therefore, of the election of May 10, 1952, was that "too many propositions in one package was confusing as well as staggering" to the voters who were not convinced of our educational needs. The one proposition that carried that election with an approval of a bond issue of $187,000.00 was: to alter the Hough Street building to make larger rooms which naturally resulted in fewer rooms; to add a small part to the building to the southwest for an approved cafeteria; to make new toilets; and to change a bottle necked wooden stairway to a new steel stairway in a better location. That work was done in the Spring of 1953, by Keno Construction Company on a contract of $183,999.00 plus extra items for unforeseen developments after opening up walls and floors.

Grove Avenue School

A further proposition at that same election was to buy a northside site while available and while purchasable at a price cheaper than it might be bought eight or ten years hence. That proposition was turned down. A further proposition to buy a site on Illinois Street between Grove Avenue and Cook Street was also turned down. But, on the 21st of February, 1953, the proposition was again put to a vote and carried by about two to one. The construction contract was let to Jensen Brothers of Barrington on March 4th that year.

The Elementary Board at the time of those two elections to meet the housing needs of the school was: James C. Plagge as President, Arnett C. Lines as Secretary, Lawrence Hertzberg, John M. Rockwood, who lately had succeeded Russel Paulson, Edward T. Vorbeck, Herbert Walbaum and Elwin S. Wyman.

A ground breaking ceremony was held Sunday afternoon on March 22, 1953, on the site of the new southside school at Grove and Illinois Streets, beginning in the traditional northeast corner of the excavation. The board secretary was Master of Ceremonies with the following participants:

Welcome and historical background Secretary

Invocation by Rev. Grant V. Graver of the Salem Church President of Board of Education turning first shovel of dirt, Dr. James C. Plagge

Building Committee Chairman, Herbert Walbaum

Building Committee Assistants, Elwin Wyman and John Rockwood.

Other Board-member, Ed T. Vorbeck

A 4th Grade girl who would attend there, Bonnie Banks

Principal Robert Samuels

Village President Howard Brintlinger

Former Superintendent here for 36 years, Prof. Erman S. Smith

Superintendent Franklin C. Thomas

Cook County Assistant Superintendent of Schools, Miss Lucy Driscoll.

For Perkins and Will, the Architects, Mr. George Gilfeather

Contractors Jensen Brothers, both Gunner and Stanley

Site Development, Wm. E. Shatwell

School Board Attorney David B. Maloney

P.T.A. President Mrs. Marjorie L. (Marion) Bohn

Advisory Council President Walter Johnson

For Township School Trustees, Albert Schaefer

High School Board President Richard Sturtevant

Township Treasurer Clarence F. Plagge

Township Assessor Reuben G. Plagge

Secretary of the Board of Education Secretary Arnett C. Lines.

Each one turned a shovelful of dirt.

Operations by the contractor in further excavation for the new building were begun the next morning. The building was completed and occupied in the Fall of 1954 with a housewarming following on October 3rd. Ground grading, tree moving and landscaping was engineered by Wm. E. Shatwell. The village took that part of the school ground south of Illinois Street into the incorporation.

Roslyn Place School

Although the steady growth of our school population showed that more elementary school buildings would be periodically needed, a site selected at Roslyn and Exmoor Roads was voted to be not purchased. In 1956 the two elementary buildings were filled, and it was seen that more class rooms ought to be available soon. Expansion of the village was taking place eastward and northward. Permission was granted, by the election of October 20, 1956, (625 in favor out of 737 votes cast) to bond District No. 4 for the sum of $625,000.00 purchase about ten acres of land and build another elementary school building north of Roslyn Road and east of Merton Place, with Perkins and Will again as architects. Bonds were sold January 14, 1957 to John Nuveen and Hornblower & Weeks, bearing interest at 3.6444 per cent.

A new driveway was opened to Roslyn Place; the grounds of 11 acres were admitted to the village corporation; the school house was occupied in September of 1958; and was dedicated the next month.

Fire Protection

Appalling disasters have occurred in the schools of our country because of fire. Fire drills for the school buildings evacuation have been well organized, and kept in practice. The speed in which the children clear out of the place is surprising, and pleasing to the state and local authorities. In April and May of 1959 the Board of Education had the American Sprinkler System with a four inch main water supply installed in the old middle building at Hough Street School, in all hall ways of the entire school, in the boiler room, in the rooms over the gymnasium entrance and under the stage. The attic, which is cleared of any storage, is fitted with fire detectors that ring in the Fire Department office in the Police Station in case of any over heat or smoke. The same safety is installed in all the ventilating shafts. This represented an investment of $14,000.00 well spent.

Lincoln Statue

In 1958, a sculptor of ability, Mr. Carl S. Tolpo, was found residing in our countryside community. One of his faithful works was the head of Abraham Lincoln, which popular demand secured and mounted on a granite pedestal in the southeast corner of the high school grounds on West Main Street. It was dedicated Sunday, Nov. 23 of that year with fitting ceremonies, unveiling by Arnett C. Lines, and speeches by Pres. Martin Schreiber and Hon. John Graham, and Wilson McCoy as chairman.

Victor D. Rieke

This chapter on our schools would not be complete without mention of Victor D. Rieke and his years of faithful service. Whereas, in the old days the cleaning and maintenance equipment was limited to a very little, now, as Chief Engineer with a crew of custodians, "Vic" has a big shop of his own full of tools and building supplies in the basement (No such convenient place in the old frame building as a basement) and there are several custodians' rooms of equipment and supplies on each floor now.

"Vic's" years as chief of Barrington's Fire Department has made him alert to fire hazards in a place requiring safety for hundreds of children. His years as carpenter and builder have given ability to his work. Whether it were up above the third floor in an ice-filled eave trough with a pick axe -- when a younger man might have done it -- or doing a meticulous job of fine cabinet work, or keeping up sanitation in a vital place like a school, Vic was always capable and was always there. By his punctuality, thoroughness and willing attitude, he has lent dignity to his work. At the end of twenty-five years of service, the school held a party for him with a gift certificate for a watch as a memento of appreciation of his loyalty and effliciency.

Frankliln Cramer Thomas

A further word about Supt. Franklin C. Thomas is much in order. He came from a similar situation in Yorkville, Illinois, in the summer of 1944 when the old district was small and was anxious to enlarge; when the large area around us needed to be brought together with the common aim of one directive for the advantages of better schooling. How the district grew from that old one unit district to two -- one elementary and one high -- with two boards of education under one superintendent, with one building then to four now (and ground for the fifth being considered) has been related. But the load carried by one superintendent without an assistant, the sixteen to eighteen hours a day of constant self-driving can not be told except that the sacrifice born of great aspiration brought on a period of near breakdown and weakened health for several years. During this time, the organization he built still carried on by the precepts and plans he established. After complete recovery he resigned in 1958 to accept an assignment by the University of Chicago and the Ford Foundation in Pakistan. In 1953 his assistant, Roland L. Lundahl, joined the administration staff to take over the business management, which spread the load on more shoulders. In 1954 "Tommy" was justly rewarded for ability in the broad field of education by being elected President of the Illinois Association of School Administrators.

When Mr. Thomas left us for his new work in Pakistan, Asia, he was followed by Dr. A.E. Wright, coming to us from Corpus Christi, Texas, in the summer of 1958. The educational work under his management progressed in a fine way. However, in the spring of 1961 he resigned before the finish of the year and accepted the state appointment of Superintendent of the Sheridan School for Boys. A survey team from the University of Chicago recommended Dr. Robert M. Finley of Chagrin Falls, Ohio, who was hired to assume his responsibilities July 1, 1961. Assistant Superintendent Rolland Lundahl took charge of the schools in the interim.

Countryside School District No. 1

After the turn of the century, there began a flow of people from Chicago and the North Shore area into our countryside, buying up farms, remodeling and landscaping for country estate homes, or adding equipment to a farm to work it intensively. After a time there was a desire among those people for better opportunities than were offered by the usual oneroom country school. So they organized among them a private school which was known as the Country Day School. However it was soon considered that an enlarged public school would be better, and the Barrington Countryside School was organized in 1942, which expanded by consolidating with seven small one room schools. Among these were: the Bucklin School on old Dundee Road east of Bateman Road; the Donlea School -- its school building stood on the east side of Sutton Road south of Donlea Corner; the Dickinson School with its stone building standing at the fork of Routes 62 and 25; the more recently named Throckmorten School -- its building stood on the southeast corner of Helm Road and Route 25; the Barrington Center School -- its new brick building replacing the old frame building at the corner of the North Church Cemetery is now a residence at the bend of Brinker Road just off Route 62; the Jackson School -- its red brick building on Donlea Road just east of the Jackson farm replaced the old stone school house that stood on the northwest corner of Algonquin and Bateman Roads; and the Haeger School -- its building standing at the southwest corner of Ridge and Spring Creek Roads. On March 20, 1947, the County Superintendent of Schools authorized the transfer of a tract of land along Brinker Road from District No. 4 to the new District No. 1. At the Countryside School election held October 25, 1947, 251 voters decided by about six to one to buy from Herbert Bell twenty-one acres of the recent VanHagen property on the southwest corner of Brinker and County Line; roads, to bond for $300,000.00, and to build a new school house in place of the frame building they had been using at the edge of the village across from the high school. Mr. Blair Plimpton was superintendent of that district during its growth from 1941 to June 30, 1947. He was followed by Mrs. Jean McGaughy who very ably managed the school till retiring in the Spring of 1958, when Mr. Daryl Freye took over the principalship. Four class rooms and an all purpose room have Prince been added to the Countryside School.

In the consolidations making these two larger school districts, "progressive education" has mastered "traditional education." The march of time has taken its toll from the landmarks of our pioneers' hopes and ambitions. What a pity that some of these crude but faithful school houses of the fundamentals of American democracy could not have been preserved as a memorial for the benefit of future generations. I have known many of their teachers and pupils, and know their strength of character and determination for civic progress.

Enrollment

Year

Hough

Grove Ave.

Roslyn Pl.

High School

1899

175 to 200

x

x

x

1930

665

x

x

x

1945

824

x

x

x

1949

734

x

x

363

1954

742

364

x

510

1955

731

386

x

578

1956-57

873

400

x

650

1960

635

360

360

970


(Note: 1899 figures is total for 10 grades; 1930 is total for 12 grades; 1945 breaks down into 545 in eight elementary grades, 279 in four higher grades. From 1949 a separate high school was in operation.)

Tax Valuation

Year 1866, in Cuba Township, $15,948.50; on Barrington side, $41,180. Total $57,128.50

Year

In Dist. No. 4

In Dist. No. 224

1947

$14,207,789.00

$24,580,076.00

1952

22,928,428.00

37,312,210.00

1953

23,770,736.00

38,614,349.00

1955

28,453,531.00

45,147,098.00

1956

30,457,787.00

50,680,995.00

1958

39,849,979.00

71,064,625.00

The Churches

The two churches at Barrington Center were the first ones built in the township. The South Church was built in 1853 by the Congregationalists of that area. The North Church was built by the Methodists that same year.

Baptist Church

The Old South Church Of Barrington Center

The Baptists, who had been organized as a church since September, 1847, by a group of 20 -- large for those days -- who were members of the Baptist Church in Dundee and who had been worshipping in the "Northway School" and in the schoolhouse across Penny Road from the church, rented the church building from the Congregationalists who are said to have faded out.

The property for that church was given by Phillip N. Gould on a conditional deed stating that when the same ceased to be used as church property it should revert to his heirs, as told to your author by Gould's daughter, Mrs. Sarah Wheeler. Elder J.L. Brooks, grandfather of Leslie B. Paddock, was probably the first pastor of that Baptist Church. The names of some of the early workers in that Church were: Nelson Messer, Daniel Messer, Lyman Dunklee, J. Hendrickson, H. Wortman, Lucius M. Holbrook, George Robinson (who married an Applebee and was a pastor there later, as well as still later in the village Baptist Church), H. Hammond, W. Hickock, John Weaver, Ed. Seymour, Wm. Olin, Myron Pinkerton, Walter Sutherland, and C.S. Dunning.

Baptist Church in the Village

When the railroad came to Barrington Station in 1854 people began movng up there and a Baptist Church in the village was considered necessary. Robert C. Campbell, civil engineer for the railroad, gave the lots at the present site on a restricted deed, which restriction was released in 1898. A building 35x5O feet was erected in 1859 for $2,222.00. Among the charter members were Mr. and Mrs. M.B. McIntosh, Mr. and Mrs. Zebina Hawley, Jr., and their two daughters, Mrs. S. Levi H. Higley and Mrs. Del Loomis, A.R. VanGorder, Lewis H. Bute and Willard Stevens.

Their original parsonage was the home next east of the church, but was sold with 50 foot frontage on Lincoln Avenue to Wm. Dawson Sr. on September 17, 1912. The present new parsonage next south of the church was built in 1913 during the pastorate of George Lockhart Jr. About the same time the church building which was of the one ridge colonial type with a square belfry on the north end of the ridge, was altered and repaired. George Spunner of Barrington and Andrew Carnegie donated the pipe organ.

In that house of worship the Baptists celebrated their golden jubilee in 1897, their diamond jubilee on Dec. 17, 1934,. and their centennial in the fall of 1947. It was torn down in 1949. In that 90 year old building ministers were ordained. In it was preached the gospel of Christianity, the separation of Church and State, and the curse of slavery. It stood through four wars.

The new church built by George Etters & Sons for $75,000.00 was occupied Sept. 10, 1950, and dedicated Nov. 26, 1950. In January, 1957, the Church bought back the old parsonage and lot next door to be used for a church office and Bible class rooms.

1847, Elder J.L. Brooks, and several lay substitutes; 1856, T.C. Briggs; 1859, A.S. Dennison and a Mr. Morse; 1860, Wm. H. Earl; 1862, E. O'Brien; 1863, H.M. Howie and Wm. H. Earl; 1864 H.M. Howie; 1866, H.M. Howie and L. Raymond; 1867, Joseph Delaney; 1869, University students and Geo. W. Robinson; 1870, J.B. Peat.

1871, A.L. Alford, 1873, Supplies and J. Kermott; 1874, Joel Wheeler and G.W. Robinson; 1875, G.C. Shirk; 1878, W.T. Green.

1881, R.P. Allison; 1884, J.L. Parker; 1886, A.H. Stau and Supplies; 1887, C.T. Everett; 1890, Charles Henry, a layman;

1892, Robert Bailey; 1895, Supplies and a Mr. Kingsley; 1896, S.S. Hageman; 1899, W.L. Blanchard.

1902, C.D. Mayhew; 1903, J.C. Garth; 1904, Supplies; 1905, Robert L. Kelley; 1906, V.V. and T.T. Phelps; 1907, James H. Gagnier; 1909, George E. Lockhart.

1913, George H. Lockhart; 1916, Edgar Woolhouse; 1917, Paul Hoffman; 1918, John Stewart; 1920, A. Sterling Barner.

1923, J. Burt Bauman; 1925, A. Sterling Barner -- ad interim; 1925, Carl A. Nissen; 1928, Charles R. Drussel; 1941, Phillip G. VanZandt; 1945, Charles A. Boyd -- ad interim; 1946, Paul Starring; 1952, Eugene B. Nyman.

Methodist Church

The Old North Church at Barrington Center

The Old North Church at Barrington Center, then called the Methodist Episcopal, was built in 1853 by a group who organized a class in 1840 and met in the school house for 13 years. They began with six members: John C. Allen as class leader, Mrs. Philip N. Gould as steward; Mr. and Mrs. Alvah Miller and son E. Norton Miller were other class members. The church building was 34x52 and cost $2200.00. In 1858 it had 85 members and was the strongest in the Dundee circuit. In 1861 the church began to wane, and it was supplied by the church at the village of Barrington. In 1884, says Andreas, it had only six members.

This church was an enlisting place during the Civil War, and a bronze tablet on a boulder beside the church, dedicated May 30, 1933, lists the names of those who went to war from that place (more fully told in the C.A.R. chapter). In about 1900 the steeple was lowered. In 1931 it was repaired for the Dr. Magnuson - Laura Thompson rustic wedding. In 1954 its front was enlarged and otherwise remodeled during the pastorate of Miss Helen Grupe. In that old church yard are buried among the pioneers, six soldiers of the War of 1812 and about a dozen from the Civil War.

The Methodist Church in the Village

A Methodist Bible Class was organized in the home of Olcutt White and met in the White School House on West Cuba Road across from the White Cemetery from 1844 to 1858. In 1858 this group joined forces with some from the Barrington Center Church and built a 32x5O foot frame church at the northeast corner of Franklin and Ela Streets for $2,000.00, which was sold to the Catholics in 1873.

In 1872 the Methodists built a new edifice on South Cook Street (48x6O feet) for $4,000.00 and it was dedicated Dec. 22, 1872. It then absorbed the Barrington Center Methodist Church which it had supplied since 1861. The tall graceful steeple on the northeast corner of the Cook Street church was struck by lightning twice -- the first time almost wrecking the building. It was rebuilt each time by Fred E. Lines and each time the height of the steeple was lowered.

The Methodist society bought the old Zion Church building on Lincoln Avenue near the northeast corner of Hough, turned it to face west again, lowered the height of the steeple and revamped it otherwise by the plans of Robert G. Work. The Cook Street building was sold to Lounsbury Masonic Lodge, steeples removed, building somewhat repaired and was dedicated by the Masons in May of 1931. The electric organ in the Hough Street church was dedicated Feb. 28, 1947. The large bell in the tower, when it was Zion, was sold when that church ceased services and united with the Salem Church. The present bell in the Hough Street church was brought from the Barrington Center Methodist Church to the Cook Street building and now hangs in the steeple with the chimes. The chimes were a gift in memory of Arthur T. McIntosh by his family and were installed in 1956.

Their new brick addition to the north was dedicated Nov. 8, 1953. In 1959 $200,000.00 was pledged to build another addition to the south to make room for the growing activities. Work began that fall and was completed in 1960. The old Methodist parsonage -- which stood at the southeast corner of Cook and Lincoln was removed to Applebee Street and a new one built in its place. This parsonage was later sold and the Mrs. Sodt home near the church was bought, but was removed by Scherf to West Russel Street in 1959 to make room for church expansion.

Their pastors have been:

Nathan Jewett, 1844; F.A. Reid, 1847; A.M. Early, 1849; C. Lazenby, 1858; M.H. Triggs, 1860; Edwin Brown, 1862, Sam Bundeock, 1864; J.T. Cooper, 1866; John O. Foster, 1869; J.H. Thomas, 1871.

Robert Beatty, 1872; J.T. Cooper, 1873; G.K. Hoover, 1874; John Hitchcock, 1876; S. H. Swartz, 1878; Joseph Caldwell 1881.

John Nate, 1882; B. Congdon, 1884; Silas Searl, 1885; William Clark, 1887; B. Frizzelle, 1890; George A. Wells, 1890; E.W. Ward, 1891.

Thomas E. Ream, 1894; J.B. Robinson, 1899; W.H. Tuttle, 1900; F.N. Lapham, 1904; O.F. Mattison, 1907; J. Clayton Youcker, 1913.

J.W. Libberton, 1913; T. Atkin Brewster, 1916; J.E. DeLong, 1917; H.L. Buthman, 1925; W.B. Doble (interim), 1930.

Milton S. Freeman, 1930; H.L. Eagle, 1933; George Nesmith, 1938; Christian Doneeke, 1940; Bertram G. Swaney, 1947; Carl Mettling, 1951; Gehl DeVorre, 1961.

St. Paul Church

St. Paul United Church of Christ on East Main Street at the south end of North Avenue was organized in 1863 with 20 members. Their first congregation meeting was in 1864. For about two years, their record says, they met in our public schools and in the Methodist and Baptist Churches and services were conducted by preachers from Long Grove and Plum Grove Churches. They built their church edifice in 1865, 34x56, for $2,200.00 on it present site.

In 1866 when the Rev. Hunziger left, they were without a resident pastor for two and a half years and they closed the church for at about a year and a half. The year 1868 began a new era and the second resident man was called and they have been a strong and growing church ever since. In the early days of the Church they bought a plot of a few acres farther east on Main Street for a cemetery.

In 1872 they bought three lots next west of the church with a small house on it which became the parsonage and remained so till 1,894; it was bought by Henry Meyer of Gilly Road and moved to North Avenue at the east end of Liberty street, and was enlarged by Wm. Gottschalk when he bought it. A new parsonage was built on the same site as the former.

Although for some time the sign over the door said "Evangelical Lutheran," it was so called, it is said, by one of their pastors, because many early Germans of the Lutheran faith without a church here of their own joined this Evangelical Church as the nearest to their own creed. Because of the many Lutheran members in it, that name stuck to it for many years and today it is often called "Evangelical Lutheran." A blue print of a plat of their property -- lots 2, 3, and 4 in Block 20 -- dated Dec. 21, 1896, over their signatures says in part: "We, the undersigned of the Village of Barrington, County of Cook and State of Illinois, Gottlieb Heimerdinger, George Miller, Frederick Reese, Gottlieb Kuhlman, Joseph Ebel, Henry Gilly and William Busching, Trustees of the Evangelical St. Paul Society of Barrington, formerly the German United Evangelical Lutheran Church of Barrington, Cook County, and the State of Illinois aforesaid, do hereby certify that we are the owners, &c."

The school house which was erected in 1873 between the church and the parsonage was the seat of learning for many of our early citizens. An overflow from the Public School was housed there at one time under the instruction of Miss Carrie Kingsley. The school house was sold in later years and is now a residence at 323 West Main Street. The pastor of the Church was always the teacher and discipline was of the old type, sometimes enforced, former students relate, by a strap rolled up in the master's hip pocket with the end hanging out as a convenient handle for quick use across a cutup's back. But of such stern order were the builders of our community.

In 1884 the church membership was 60. In more recent years it competed first place in membership. In 1884 its scholars in their parochial school numbered 42.

In 1890, on July 17, a bell was installed in the rebuilt steeple. The St. Paul Church has been remodeled several times by Wm. Gottschalk. It was rebuilt in 1944 by George Kuhlman and chimes were installed, the gift of Leila Sandman, who was the grand daughter of George Muller and whose husband was the grandson H.C.P. Sandman.

Until 1913 all services were in the German language. In 1924, English being used more and more by its members and the younger generation, the minutes of the annual meeting says "the official language of this Church is to be English hereafter."

A brick addition to the southwest of the church was dedicated and opened Nov. 11, 1956.

Their pastors were:

Rev. John Bund was pastor of this church during the year of organization. Rev. John Hunziger (1865-66) was pastor when the church was built. Rev. Hoffenbrak served about a year. Then came Rev. R. Krueger (1868-70), Rev. William Huss (1870-72), Rev. Krueger (1872-73), Rev. Kustav Koch (1873-77), whose school a former merchant and village president, the late A.W. Meyer, attended; Rev. G.W. Starek (1877-78), Rev. Christopher Manermann (1878-80), Rev. H. Gyr (1880-83).

Until this time ministers were here but a year or two, except Mr. Koch, who served four years. Rev. Ernest Rahn came in 1883 and stayed 14 years, until 1897. Rev. H. Menzel was pastor from 1897 to 1903 and Rev. G.H. Stanger from 1903 to 1909.

Rev. Eugene Wilkening served the church from 1909 to 1915. It was during his pastorate that a silver mounted German bible for the altar was presented to the Church by the German Consul at Chicago as a gift from Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany.

Since Rev. Wilkening, pastors have been: Rev. Herman Tietke (1915-23), Rev. L. Kleeman (1923-28), Rev. Hermann Koenig (1928-1938), Rev. George P. Ellerbrake (1938-49), Rev. Edwin P. Riske (1949-1958), and Rev. John A. Gerber, the present Pastor, who came in 1958.

Evangelical Church

The former Zion Church and the Salem Evangelical Church had their origin in the Deer Grove Society of Evangelical Association which was organized in Deer Grove, probably in 1849, by a group of citizens of German origin. Meetings were held at first in private homes, the first of which was held in Barney Elfrink's log house on Dundee-Wheeling road west of Ela Road and now the George Elfrink farm. They had thirty converts that winter.

That church had its beginnings in the "first class organized in 1845 by Rev. G.A. Blank of the Des Plaines circuit" says the Centennial Edition of The History of Illinois Conference of The Evangelical Church, and "that there were present fourteen members": Henry and Bernhard Elfrink, Lambert Listhartke, Lambert Meiners, B.H. Landwer, Herman Landwer, and John Landwer, Henry Miller, Lambert Bauman, Bernhard Gieske, Peter Rieger, G.H. Elfrink, Gerhard Listharke; Henry Elfrink as class leader until his death and Peter Rieger as Sunday School Superintendent for years".

In 1854 a house of worship was built by them on Ela Road in the corner of the present Evangelical Cemetery and was dedicated August 20, 1854, by Bishop John Seybert. That record says the first trustees were: "Lambert Meiners, Peter Rieger, Lambert Listhartke, and Henry Elfrink" and that "Rev. Jacob Schaefle was pastor at the time." Andrea's History says the three others who ministered to that body in those days were Rev. C.A. Schnake, Rev. John Schneider, Rev. Tobias. In 1861 a sixteen foot addition was built on the rear of the church.

When the railroad moved its depot to Barrington Station, as it was called then, and the people had moved there too, that society built a small village Evangelical church in 1866 on South Hough Street at the northeast corner of Lincoln Avenue on what was recently the Methodist Church lawn. It faced west and was across the street from what is now the south wing of the Elementary School building. That was the original Zion Evangelical Church.

The Deer Grove church was used but little after that, and was torn down in about 1885 for its lumber, which was used in building the residence at the southwest corner of Lill and Russell Streets.

The small village Zion church home was out grown by 1880 and a new and larger Zion with a seating capacity of four hundred was built for $8,000.00. It faced south on Lincoln Avenue, had three front doors and a very large bell that could be heard for miles around. The original church building that faced on Hough with its bell and belfry and all was attached to the north end, which was the rear, of the new building and was used as a chapel and prayer room. It was Barrington's largest church both in congregation and size of the edifice. A group of sheds was built for teams because many of its congregation came in from surrounding farms. The sheds ran in series from the church north, with entrances at Lake Street, where the Charles Moorehouse home had stood, and on Hough Street at the middle of the block.

Trustees of Zion Church in 1884 were: Lambert Listhartke, Fred H. Frye, Fred A. Lageschulte, Louis Elfrink, August Boehmer, Fred Roloff and D.H. Landwer.

It was the custom of that church f or years for the men to sit on one side of the main aisle and the women on the other. At Christmas time they would have two large trees on the stage at once, and sometimes set mechanically in slow turning motion.

Zion Church for some time ministered to a church or class called the Miller Grove Church at the northwest end of Helm Road.

Some of the Zion Church pastors were:

Rev. Jacob Schaefle, 1854; Rev. E. Musselman, 1861; Rev. Valentine Forkel, 1865; Rev. John Keist, 1866-67; and Rev. E. Prieden, 1869, circuit riders; Rev. L. Williams, 1869-70.

Phillip Hoffman, 1871-73; A.S. Heilman, 1874-76; Henry Meier, 1877-79; Valentine Forkel and C.J. Frey, 1880-82; C. Gagstetter, 1882-83; C.J. Schuster, 1883-86; Theo. Alberding, 1886-87; A. Huelster, 1887-90.

John B. Elfrink, 1890-91; E. Von Freeden, 1892-93; John B. Elfrink, 1894-96; Enos R. Troyer, 1896-98; J. Haller, 1898-1902; W.F. Klingbeil, 1902-04; Theo. Steege, 1904-07; J.E. Widmer 1907-09; J. Buente, 1909-14.

H. Haag, 1914-15; Wm. Beuscher, 1916-17; George Josiff, 1917-18; Wm. Albrecht, 1918-20; H.J. Stelling, 1920-21; C.B. Westphal, 1921-22; John B. Elfrink, 1922-23. Thereafter merged with the Salem Church.

The Camp Ground Association

This Evangelical Society early established a summer camp meeting. The Continental History of the Conference above mention says that they first met in Hoosier Grove. That would be about seven miles south. After several years they moved up near the church to the woods back of the Louis Elfrink farm on Ela Road in what is now the southwest corner of the Forest Preserve. The stayed there for twenty-five years, it is said, and many of our old timers used to tell us of the good meetings there. In 1874 the Camp Meeting moved nearer the village in B.H. Landwer's woods on East Hillside Avenue, its present location. The first cottages were crude and services were in the open air or in a tent. On June 23, 1898, the Camp Grounds Association was organized. Eight acres was the original purchase, and more was bought later making the site nineteen acres. Better and permanent houses were built. In 1908 a large tabernacle replacing the tent was built by Harry Aurand at a cost of $2,800.00, and was dedicated in August of that year. Of a summer evening the bell and the stentorian voice of the preacher in their rousing revival meetings could be heard down in the west part of the village.

In the late nineties the Zion Church sheds at the north end of the church along Hough Street to Lake Street were torn down and the land returned to residential use where Ed Peters built the house on the southeast corner.

In 1891 differences arose, and in 1892 they divided into two groups. One followed Bishop Escher and retained the Zion Church property. The other group followed Bishop Dubbs (it was the larger group here) and retained the Camp Ground property.

Salem Evangelical Church

The new group under Bishop Dubbs organized as the Salem Evangelical Society and its charter of June 13, 1893, lists as trustees: Fred H. Frye, Fred A. Lageschulte, Bernhard H. Landwer, Henry J. Lageschulte, Henry H. Landwer, and John L. Meiners.

They built their new edifice in 1893 and 1894. A parsonage was built in 1899 next west of the church on the site of the small Squire Marshall cottage. From the time of their division till the new church was ready the members worshiped in the Methodist Church basement on Cook Street.

The two branches of the church were united in 1921 in Chicago. The Americana Encyclopaedia says "the actual amalgamation took place in Detroit, Michigan, on October 14, 1922." Zion church held its last service Sunday, April 23, 1922, and on the following Sunday began worshiping in unison in the Salem Church.

Until possibly the time of the first World War the services were held in German. Gradually it changed over with the younger generation knowing more English and less German. Evening services were held in English. Later two prayer meetings were held, one in each language, till now all services are in English.

The United Brethren consolidated with this association nationally on November 6, 1946. The name now is the Salem Evangelical United Brethren Church.

In October of 1952 the church edifice was rearranged. The semicircle of individual seats that faced the pulpit in the south of the sanctuary were removed, and straight backed pews were installed facing the pulpit and the new choir loft in the west end of the church. The building was covered with stone. The class room addition to the south was enlarged and the steeple was lowered. In 1960 the carillon chimes donated bv Miss Cora Hobein were installed.

Pastors of this church since it was organized have been:

Wm. Schuster, 1890-94; Theo. W. Suhr Sr., 1894-98; A.W. Strickfaden, 1898-02; J.G. Fidder,1902-04; A. Haefele, 1904-08; E.F. Fuessle, 1908-11; H.H. Thoren, 1911-15; J. Hoerner, 1915-20; B.R. Schultze, 1920-22; E.K. Yeakle, 1922-27; J.W. Davis, 1927-30; Phillip Beuscher, 1930-35; W.A. Stauffer, 1935-44; Dore N. Ester, 1944-50; Grant V. Graver, 1951-63.

The Ordained

This Evangelical Church has ordained or sent more ministers and missionaries out into the Christian service than any other in the community. Recommended from the Salem Church and ordained, with their years of service, were:

Amos Gockley, 1861-1891; John B. Elfrink, 1877-1917; Henry Lageschulte, 1856-1906; H. Kleinsorge, 1856-1907; Charles Roloff, 1880-1928, William Wolthausen, 1886-1928; Charles Wolthausen, 1887-1926; Fred W. Landwer, 1889-1919.

Theo. L.C. Suhr, 1905-1942; Mrs. Ester (T.L.C.) Suhr, 1908-1942 (Missionary); Miss Cora Hobein, 1914-1927 (Missionary); Rueben Aurand, 1920 (Now Conference Director in Iowa); Oliver Thoren, 1927-1929; Edwin Schaefer, 1930; Ivan Lageschulte, 1934-1935.

Merrill Davis, 1936; -- Professor in the Evangelical College at LeMars, Iowa.

Donald Landwer, 1936; -- heads the Finance Department of the National Council of Churches.

David Koss, 1958. Professor of Theology.

Ed. Hansen, 1958-.

A number of those at the top of the list left this Conference and went west, continuing their work in Kansas, Iowa, and California.

St. Anne Catholic Church

Those of Catholic faith in this community were first ministered to by missionaries coming here by horse back or by carriage. St. Anne Catholic Church was organized about 1871 as a mission, served by Rev. J.F. Clancey with two other congregations Crystal Lake and Woodstock. At first they met in a private home near the present church, probably the home of Ed Lamey Sr. In 1873 the original Methodist church building at the northwest corner of Ela and Franklin Streets was purchased. An historical sketch of St. Anne Parish, published in 1954, says Rev. E.J. Fox celebrated Mass as first resident pastor on July 23, 1905.

In July, 1906, A. Gleason and Fred E. Lines began building a parish house on Franklin Street just east of the old frame church. It was first occupied by Father Fox, a much liked priest who had made a recent tour of the Holy Lands. After the first parochial school was completed in 1927, during the pastorate of Rev. John Dufficy, on Ela Street north of the old church, the parsonage east of the church on Franklin, became the home of the nuns who came to teach in the new school. The house north of the school at the southeast corner of Washington and Ela was bought for the pastor's home.

In the 1930's and 1940's the congregation grew so large, having been holding three and four masses on a Sunday in the summertime, that a larger house of worship was found necessary. More ground was bought across Franklin Street from the Ed. Lamey estate during the pastorate of Rev. Phillip Hayes. A large and beautiful new edifice was erected in 1950 and 1951 during the pastorate of Rev. Alexander Thane. It was dedicated June 24th 1951.

The old frame church across Franklin Street was torn down in the fall of 1960; it had housed 102 years of Christian work. Having acquired more property in the same block through to Chestnut Street, the old Crowley-Porep house was moved away and a large parochial school was built in 1959 and 1960.

Father Fox was followed by Father Maurice A. Dorney; then came Fathers Hurkman, Lonergin, Kilderry, McCormick, and John Dufficy. The Rev. Alexander N. Thane, the present pastor, took charge of St. Anne parish in 1943.

St. Matthew Lutheran Church

St. Matthew Lutheran Church of the Missouri Synod was organized April 27th, 1932, by Daniel Henning, Missionary at Large, and Rev. Paul Gerth pastor of the Fairfield Lutheran Church at Lake Zurich. They began with a charter membership of thirty-five from the class that Rev. Gerth had been conducting. This group in Barrington bought a church building from the Free Methodists at Algonquin for $150.00 and moved it here April 15, 1934, to their lot at the Northwest corner of Coolidge and Lill Streets. After making it ready for occupancy, it was dedicated May 27, 1934. The home next door west was procured as a parsonage. Rev. A.T. Kretzman was the first pastor, beginning in 1932. Rev. H.H. Heinemann came in 1945 to a membership of 180. The growth of the church required larger quarters. A lot was bought south of Evergreen Cemetery on South Dundee Avenue and a handsome modern brick church and parsonage combined was erected in 1958 and dedicated February 22, 1959. The cost of the new edifice complete with landscaping and walks is quoted at $250,000.

Christian Science Church

The First Church of Christ, Scientist, had its beginning here in 1910 and was organized in 1915 worshipping for a time in Stott's Hall. In 1924-25 they built their stone church on E. Main Street and Wool.

This Church was made a branch of the Mother Church in 1927. Its people have maintained a public reading room for years. From its devout membership there has come a number of Readers and Practitioners.

St. Michael's Episcopal Church

St. Michael's Episcopal Church was organized in 1948 and met in the Masonic Hall on Cook Street. In 1949 they bought the property at the northeast corner of Hillside and Dundee Avenue and, in 1950 they built the rectory for Rector Joseph D. Williams at the cast of the proposed site of the church. On May 9, 1954, the corner stone of their new edifice was laid. Their original parsonage was sold at that time and a rectory built in connection with the church. The chimes of twelve bronze bells was given by Mr. Ralph Bard Jr. in memory of his wife, Mary Spear Bard, and were dedicated December 10, 1955, by Bishop G.F. Burrill.

The present Rector is Robert D. Gerhard.

Seventh Day Adventists

The Seventh Day Advent Society was organized July 15, 1937, and met Saturdays in the old Baptist Church for quite a while, moving later to Stott Hall over Walter Landwer's Store, and still later worshipping in the Lincoln Avenue side of Hough Street School.

Presbyterian Church

The Barrington Presbyterian Church was organized in 1960 when on Easter Sunday, the 17th of April, officers were elected and installed under the leadership of their pastor, Rev. Paul A. Winchester. Their church, built on Brinker Road on the hill south of the Countryside School was finished, accepted and dedicated in 1963, being first occupied on Feb. 24, 1963. Value of the church property, including the manse, was said to be in excess of $350,000, and membership at the time of dedication about 350.

St. Mark's Episcopal Church

St. Mark's Episcopal Church was organized as a Mission and broke ground on the 11th of December in 1955 for their church on east side of Ridge Road south of Plum Tree Road. Acting vicar at the time was Rev. Chas. Alan Grier of Sycamore, who retired at the required age. He was followed bv Rev. Thomas Phillips as priest in charge, and regular occupancy began on the 20th of May in 1956.

Bethel Gospel Church

The Bethel Gospel Church was organized in the Spring of 1959 and worships in the Coolidge Street church vacated by St. Matthew's Lutheran. Rev. Fred Steinman is the pastor.

Evangelical Free Church

The newest Church in our community is the Evangelical Free Church, organized in 1961 and meeting in the Masonic Hall in Cook Street, with Rev. Wormser as pastor.

Barrington Center South Church

The South Church on Penny Road near the "J" track and route 59 was erected, as mentioned in the Baptist record above, in 1853 by the Congregational people who still hold title. It is very conveniently used for a much needed township meeting place for civic purposes. Its religious purpose is fulfilled by the meeting there of a nonsectarian Bible Class.

Barrington Center North Church

The Barrington Center Bible Church, using the North Church building at Route 63 and Sutton Road, began active services there in 1940 under the able leadership of Rev. Miss Helen Grupe who filled that pulpit for more than twenty-one years.

Lutheran Church of the Atonement

The Lutheran Church of the Atonement was organized in Barrington in 1961 under the guidance of Rev. Arthur Knudson. They met at the Grove Avenue School while their house of worship was being built in 1961 and 1962 on the south side of East Main Street beyond Glendale. It was dedicated June 24, 1962.

Council of Religious Education

In December of 1927 a daily period of religious education was considered by the Pastors' Union to be a need in the Public Schools. The Pastors' Union was composed of the pastors of four local Churches -- St. Paul's, Baptist, Methodist and Saleia -- and the pastor, with a lay representative from each Church, organized the Council of Religious Education in January 1928 and conducted its business.

Several local ladies were hired as teachers for these classes, which were in the lower grades, first through sixth. Mrs. M.W. Bischoff was brought in as an expert in that line and remained for some years. The course was offered in the Country Day School where 97.6% enrolled. Mrs. Alta Bennett was secretary the first year and Arnett C. Lines was secretary the remaining nineteen years. Treasurers were Earl R. Jackson, Hobart C. Berghorn, and Norman H. Reese. The work was supported by individual gifts and contributions on a per capita basis from the four sponsoring Churches.

The Council ceased to function just prior to the U.S. Supreme Court decision in the Champaign (Illinois) case in March of 1948. An attempt was made in 1952 to arouse interest in renewing the work, but it was deemed unwise, in view of the Court decision, to inject it into school hours.

Go to Part 4