Job opportunities at the library
The Barrington Area Library is looking for friendly, dependable people to join our Material Services team, which plays an important role in maintaining a welcoming and well-organized environment for our customers. This position is year-round and averages 12–19 hours per week. Duties include using our automated system to sort items and shelving materials in all areas of the library. Starting salary is $8.79 per hour.
Shifts may include some afternoons (1 – 5 PM), evenings (3 – 7 PM), and weekends (1 – 5 PM). Additional shifts may be required and the schedule is subject to change at any time, based on the needs of the department. Flexibility is a must to meet the needs of our customers.
• Pass our pre-screening test with 70% accuracy or above.
• Ability to read 8-point font print.
• Physical dexterity to reach shelves of various heights and push heavy carts throughout your work shift.
• Minimum age requirement is 16 years old.
• Previous work or volunteer experience that demonstrates attention to detail and good interpersonal skills.
Our recently renovated, 21st century library is a busy, friendly place that supports lifelong, active learning and an appreciation for creativity and innovation. Interested? Read the full job description on our web site. Complete the PDF application, save it to your computer, and e-mail it to email@example.com for consideration.
Adult Services Local History Volunteers
Several volunteers are needed to help with scanning and making historical photos and documents available on our Web site and in the library. Days and hours are flexible - however, a commitment to a mutually agreeable schedule will be expected through the duration of the project.
Duties may include any of the following - on your application ("Additional Skills" section), please tell us if you have experience with any of these tasks (we can train you on less-familiar skills):
• Digitize our microfilm of the Barrington Courier Review. Digitally capture images and edit them as needed. Photo editing skills a plus!
• Create and edit documents using Microsoft programs
• Create and edit web pages
• Create and edit PDFs using a Mac
• Scan and index historical documents
Photo Editing/Sound Editing Skills:
• Using digital cameras to capture images
• Using Microsoft Office Picture Manager or other photo editing software
• Using Flickr to upload, edit and tag photos
• Using Roxio and/or Garage Band to record narration
Interested? Download the PDF application, complete and save it to your computer, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the project that interests you (below) or the skills that you can contribute.