Barrington Area Library Celebrates Another Successful "One Book One Barrington" Community Reading Event
- Created on Wednesday, 05 October 2011 09:54
Featuring Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
One Book One Barrington 2013 officially ended on Saturday, April 27, at our wonderful Swing It! dance and concert. We're still counting, but hundreds of people participated in this year's OBOB, making it our biggest and most successful yet.
We couldn't have done it without our generous co-sponsors and community partners who provided funding, guidance, programming, locations and so many other key elements of One Book One Barrington. Our primary co-sponsors were the Barrington 220 Educational Foundation and the PTO President's Council. We would like to give all of our partners a special thank you here - please let them know you appreciate their work in our community and their support of the library and its programming.
About the book:
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand tells the true story of Louis Zamperini, a WWII airman and former US Olympic distance runner. After the crash of his B-24, Zamperini floated through the Pacific in a tiny life raft, ultimately traveling 2,000 miles before being captured and enduring Japanese prison camps for two years.
- Created on Thursday, 23 June 2011 13:43
At a time when people are just as likely to visit the library to hear live music, use a computer, or view world class art, how does a public library spread the word that books are only one part of its mission? The Barrington Area Library has used a variety of logos, color schemes and publications - from newsletters to Web pages - in its 96 year history, all of which have helped define and elaborate upon its role within the community.
- Created on Monday, 06 June 2011 16:17
The library's South Branch location has reopened beginning Monday, June 6, at 9 AM. The pick-up lockers at Hoffman Estates Park District Willow Recreation Center, Algonquin & Lexington Roads, are also back in service as of June 6. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced due to these construction-related closures.
- Created on Wednesday, 06 October 2010 01:00
In a report issued by the Library Journal, the Barrington Area Library has been recognized for exceptional service with a three star rating. The Library Journal issued its national ranking of libraries, the Index of Public Library Service on October 1. The index rates 7,407 public libraries across the nation and awards star ratings for exceptional service. The Barrington Area Library is one of 17 libraries in Illinois and one of 258 libraries nationally to receive the special recognition of a starred rating.
- Created on Thursday, 13 May 2010 01:00
After 25 years of serving as President of the Barrington Area Library Board of Trustees, Richard J. Ryan stepped down from the position on Tuesday, May 10. Ryan is succeeded in his role as president by fellow trustee Lawrence J. Weiner who has served on the board since 1998.
- Barrington Area Library Hits One Million Mark For First Time
- Black Tie by Bruno Vanoudenhove: Art Exhibit of Chicago and Barrington Landmarks
- "Expressions Through Art" Exhibit at Barrington Area Library Spotlights Autism
- Barrington Area Library Opens Art Exhibit: Watercolors - Bright and Bold by Richard Helland
- Library Poetry Contest Winner Also Wins on the National Level
- Two Barrington Area Librarians Chosen to Participate in Statewide Leadership Program
- Barrington Area Library Names New Trustee: Kathleen A. Peterson
location and hours
505 N. Northwest Highway, Barrington, IL 60010
Mon-Fri: 9 am - 9 pm
Sat: 9 am - 5 pm
Sun: 1 pm - 5pm
Circulation (Renewals and account info)