BAL on Facebook BAL on Twitter BAL YouTube Channel BAL Local History's photostream

twitter talk

Barrington Area Cemeteries

Local historian Arnett C. Lines and his daughter, Phyllis, transcribed records from cemeteries in and near Barrington between 1931 and 1964. These transcriptions, along with additional information compiled by Barrington Area Library staff and volunteers are below. Accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. Cemeteries visited by Barrington Area Library staff and/or volunteers: October 1998, October 2000, June 2002, May 2003, May 2004, August 2005, October 2006, March 2007, August 2008, September 2010 and November 2010.


View Barrington Area Cemeteries in a larger map

Barrington Center Cemetery

Transcription, by Michelle Safirstein and Barrington Area Library Staff, May, 2004
Transcription, Signal Hill Chapter NSDAR, 1989. Transcribed by Arnett C. Lines, 1943 and Lake County Genealogical Society, 1982.

Northeast corner of Sutton Road and Route 68, Barrington Hills. Barrington Township, Cook County, Illinois. Maintained by Barrington Township. The gate is locked. Entry may be obtained by calling the Barrington Township office, (847)381-5632. This cemetery is closed for burials.

History

Barrington Center (also known as Miller's Grove) has graves that date from the 1840's. The first recorded burial was that of Jerusha Miller, wife of Seymour Miller, who died on November 7, 1840. About 30 pioneer graves were dug on the north side of the cemetery prior to 1853, when the first church, Barrington Center Wesleyan Methodist Church, was built. A plaque containing 91 names of Civil War soldiers—90 men and one woman—recruited from Barrington Township during 1861 to 1865 is mounted on a large boulder at the west side of the church.

"Barrington Center Church sold the cemetery to a bible group, headed by Miss Helen Grupe, for $1.00. The bible group was to maintain the cemetery. They did not, and the Barrington Center Cemetery Association was formed to maintain the cemetery. It was then deeded to, and cared for, to this day by Barrington Township. The original plan of the cemetery is in the possession of R. A. Sunderlage Excavating Company of Dundee, in East Dundee, Illinois." (Notes from Mrs. William Peters, 1980)

Barrington Union Cemetery/Union Cemetery/Henry Smith Cemetery

Transcription, by Michelle Safirstein, May, 2004
Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, 1931, 1963; Cathy Trawinski, 1998

South side of Algonquin Road (Route 62), 1/2 mile east of Bateman Road, Barrington Hills. Barrington Township, Cook County, Illinois. Maintained by Barrington Township. Entry through the locked gate on Route 62 may be obtained by calling the Barrington Township office at (847)381-5632. This cemetery is closed for burials.

History

Henry Smith deeded 1.03 acres from his farm for the cemetery. The original deed was recorded on July 5, 1866, for a sum of $1.00. Barrington Union Cemetery Association was formed in September 1866. At one time there was a Lithuanian Cemetery Society. In 1963, a 20-foot easement was added. In 1979, according to Opal Helm, there were about 100 graves. Very little upkeep was done over the years, except for the Helm and Jackson plots. Vandals and the encroaching forest destroyed many graves. In 1983, the Barrington Township trustees took over the maintenance of the cemetery. Some graves date from the Civil War and bear Barrington pioneer names (e.g., Freeman, Helm, and Jackson).

Bennett Cemetery

Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, date unknown; Cathy Trawinski, 1999

South side of Miller Road at Indian Trail Road, west of Lake Zurich. Ela Township, Lake County, Illinois. Abandoned cemetery on private property.

History

Bennett Cemetery is abandoned, but some stones can still be found lying flat in the front yard of one of the homes built on the property. Arnett Lines transcribed these stones in the woods of the old Silas Robertson farm across from the Alexander farm on Miller Road northwest of Lake Zurich and west of Rand Road at an unknown date.

Bensenville Cemeteries

"These inscriptions taken from four cemeteries at Bensenville, Ill., are recorded as a hint(?) that they may be, or some in fact are, related to folks here or around here. At least for reference later." A "small E.U.B. Cemetery on abandoned road northeast of town in the west area of O'Hare Field, Chi." and "the larger E&R Evang. St. Johannes Kireke Cemetery on the same road near the garbage dump west of O'Hare Field." (Arnett C. Lines)

Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, July 6, 1962; Cathy Trawinski, 1999
See also the listings for Immanuel United Church of Christ and Zion Church Cemetery.

Briggs Family Cemetery

Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, 1937; Cathy Trawinski, 1998

North side of Midlothian Road near Echo Lake Road about 1 mile northeast of the village of Lake Zurich. It was in Ela Township, Lake County, Illinois. The cemetery no longer exists.

History

The Briggs farm was across the road in an 1890's plot map. It was already abandoned with only a few worn stones when Arnett Lines visited it around 1937.

Cady Cemetery

Transcription, Michelle Safirstein, October, 2004
Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, 1931; Cathy Trawinski, 1998
Another reading is available from the Cook County, IL GenWeb.

West side of Ela Road, 1/4 mile south of Dundee Road (Route 68), Inverness. Palatine Township, Cook County, Illinois. Maintained by Palatine Township. The gate is locked. Call Palatine Township, (847)358-6700, for entry.

History

The Cady family farmhouse was located across from Cady Cemetery. The most recent burial was in the 1950's, but most of the graves are dated much earlier. This small cemetery has fewer than 50 graves, including many English settlers to the area.

Chunn's Burial Ground/Oak Glen Cemetery

Transcription, Barrington Area Library Staff, August, 2005
Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, September 21, 1944; Cathy Trawinski, November, 1998
Landmark Dedication Ceremony, October 26, 2008

Algonquin River Road, between Plum Tree Road and Crescent Parkway, Fox River Grove. Algonquin Township, McHenry County, Illinois. Maintained by Algonquin Township. Closed for burials.

History

In 1843, Mr. Frank Houghtailing donated a one-acre tract of land to be used for a school and the balance to be used as a burial place. The school was known as the Oak Glen School and the cemetery as Oak Glen Cemetery, after a nearby mill and creek. Mr. Thomas Chunn was an early settler in the area, and the Chunn school district was established in 1835. He was buried in this cemetery in 1843. The oldest marker dates to 1809, and at least one Civil war veteran, John C. Kelly, is buried there. It is a small cemetery with about a dozen markers. Maps of the cemetery from after World War II show about 50 graves, with possibly 50 more. The remains of the Houghtailing family were later moved to the Algonquin Cemetery. Arnett Lines read this cemetery September 21, 1944. At that time he found only two stones standing in a thicket of bushes and trees, behind the Houghtailing farm. When Arnett Lines read the stone of John G. Kelley, only half of the stone was there. He read it as though John's parents M. A. Kelly and Wm. G. Kelly were also buried in the same grave. In 1992, when the other half of John G. Kelley's stone was recovered, the words "son of" become very clear. Mr. William Kelley and Mary Klinck Kelley moved to the West Coast leaving the grave of their son John, a Civil War veteran, behind. If you have additional information on people you believe are buried in Chunn's Burial Ground, contact Linda Stengele, (847)639-4904.

Notes and conversations with Linda Stengele about the Chunn Burial Ground, October 1998.

David Haeger Cemetery/Spring Creek Cemetery

Transcription, Michelle Safirstein and Barrington Area Library staff, May, 2003
Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, June 26, 1938
Transcription, Bonnie Duresa, 1998

One mile north of Spring Lake, on the southwest corner of Meadow Hill and Spring Creek Roads, Barrington Hills. Algonquin Township, McHenry County, Illinois. Private property, closed for burials; maintained by owner.

History

David Haeger Cemetery began in 1860. A map of 1861 shows a school located on this corner. It is a very small, well-kept, private cemetery with 49 remaining headstones, David Haeger's being one of them. The Haeger farm was across the road, which is now a subdivision. David Haeger and his son D. H. Haeger started a grain elevator in Barrington and a brick business. This later led to the successful pottery business that the family is still known for today. According to Arnett Lines, Dave Haeger (of Haeger School and Haeger Cemetery) was of English origin and not related to other Hagers in Barrington. The 1860 census states that the members of the David Haeger family were all born in Germany. Debby Cook, Barrington Township official, remembers attending school in a one-room schoolhouse with a pot-bellied stove on the property. In 1944, Lines wrote, "It was full of trees, bushes and weeds and had cows tramping through it." The current owner, living in the schoolhouse which is now a private residence, maintains this quaint cemetery with shade plantings.

Notes and conversations with Linda Stengele about the David Haeger Cemetery, October 1998.

Other sources, McHenry County, suggest Welch-Haeger Cemetery.

Still other sources, Algonquin the Beautiful by H. Peryce Millar, suggest that Joseph Smith Klinck "gave land for a school house and cemetery." (p.10-11).

Deer Grove Cemetery

Transcription, Michelle Safirstein, July, 2004
Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, 1948; Cathy Trawinski, 1998
Transcription, Wendy Faber, Pattie Schultz, and Gloria (Landwer) Scott with assistance from Randy McGowan and Louis Scott, 1998

Corner of Dundee Road (Route 68) and Ela Road, 1/4 mile west of Route 14, Inverness. Palatine Township, Cook County, Illinois. There is no sign at the entrance and the gate is unlocked. Owned and maintained by Salem United Methodist Church, 115 W. Lincoln, Barrington, IL 60010, (847)381-0524.

History

Deer Grove Cemetery contains the graves of German Evangelical settlers. Two graves for wives of H. Wolthausen read, "Amelia wife of H. Woltthausen died 1896." The second reads, "Caroline E. wife of H. Wolthausen, died 1900. She hath done what she could."

Evergreen Cemetery

Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, date unknown
Transcription, A-B | C-D | E-G | H-J | K-M | N-R | S-U | V-Z

610 Dundee Avenue, between Hillside and Coolidge Avenues, Barrington. Barrington Township, Cook County, Illinois. It is open for burials. The Barrington Area Library has a grave map with names of those who purchased the lots.

History

Evergreen Cemetery is the largest cemetery in the Barrington area. The oldest part is the south section. It was organized in 1867, under the Illinois Law of 1855, as a private cemetery. Henry Clausen may have used it as a burial ground for some time before that. The portion west of the E. J. & E. tracks was organized 1850-1855. Organizers George Ela, M. B. Macintosh, and William G. Waterman purchased five acres from Henry Clausen and were granted a charter in 1869. It has now grown to 33 acres. Records show it was formally used as a cemetery in 1908. An additional piece of land was added in 1920. Barrington village presidents, local legislators, and other well-known Barrington names (e.g., Ela, Applebee, Abbott, Jaynes) are buried there. The Civil War Monument is the focal point of the cemetery. It was dedicated in 1906 and also called the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. Three Civil War cannons were placed along the front of the monument's circular plot of ground. An extra large cannon is in front of the monument. Large triangles of Civil War cannon balls were set in cement and welded together. Over the years theft has been a problem. The large cannon and the cannon balls were stolen, never to be found. Two cannons were stolen and later retrieved. One cannon and some cannon balls remain in storage. West of the Civil War Monument is the Veterans Memorial Section, purchased for veterans' graves b American Legion Post 158 of Barrington after World War I, which is marked by a pylon dedicated in 1855. A section is set aside for veterans without funds, with an honorable discharge, and a Barrington address. These veterans can be buried here at no cost. The Veterans Memorial section is a plot, 40 feet by 82 feet, donated by the Evergreen Cemetery Association and designed for 53 graves, including those already buried west of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument of 1906. This section was dedicated Memorial Day, May 30, 1955. Evergreen Cemetery has graves for over 118 war veterans from the War of 1812, the Indian Wars, the Civil War, the Spanish American War, World War I, World War II, and the Korean War.

Fairfield Cemetery

Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, 1953; Cathy Trawinski, 1998

Transcription, Jim Johnson, January 25, 2012

East side of Quentin Road, just south of Old McHenry Road, Lake Zurich, Illinois. Ela Township, Lake County, Illinois. Maintained by Ela Township. The gate is locked.

History

Fairfield Cemetery dates from 1853.

Fremont Center Church Cemetery/St. Mary's Cemetery

Transcription, surnames only, Arnett C. Lines, March 29, 1963; Cathy Trawinski, 1999
Transcription, Amy Weiting, 1980; available at the Fremont Public Library, (847)566-8702

South side of Erhart Road, just west of Route 60, next to St. Mary's church. Fremont Township, Lake County, Illinois.

History

The church and the cemetery have been at this location since 1885. From 1865 to 1885, both were located on the northwest corner of Fremont Center Road and Route 176. Graves were moved from the original location to the present site gradually between 1885 and 1900.

Grant Cemetery/Shepherd's Burying Ground

Partial transcription, Arnett C. Lines, date unknown; Cathy Trawinski, 1999

North side of Molidor Road, 3/4 mile east of Route 12, East Volo. Grant Township, Lake County, Illinois. Maintained by Fischer Brothers, (847)546-4701.

History

Grant Cemetery dates from 1845.

Highland Grove Cemetery/Mount Hope Cemetery, St. John United Church of Christ

Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, date unknown
Transcription, May, 2004, Michelle Safirstein

1475 W. Algonquin Road, Corner of Algonquin and Roselle Roads, Palatine. Palatine Township, Cook County, Illinois.

Hoosier Grove Immanuel

Partial transcription, Arnett C. Lines, June 29, 1963; Cathy Trawinski, 1999
Transcription, Barrington Area Library Staff, October, 2006

Intersection of Barrington and Church Roads, Streamwood. Hanover Township, Cook County, Illinois.

History

"The Immanuel United Church of Christ is located just a short distance from this intersection, west on Church Road. There is a cemetery adjacent to the church; no reading has been published. The cemetery has been heavily damaged with tombstones missing and damaged. The records have been microfilmed by the LDS (film #1906282) and are on permanent loan at the Wilmette branch of the LDS library; the records end in 1958." (Notes from Pattie Schultz)

Immanuel United Church of Christ

Partial transcription, Arnett C. Lines, date unknown; Cathy Trawinski, 1999

Bensenville, Illinois

Long Grove Cemetery

Partial transcription, Arnett C. Lines, date unknown; Cathy Trawinski, 1999

North side of Long Grove Road, just west of the covered bridge, Long Grove. Vernon Township, Lake County, Illinois.

History

Long Grove Cemetery dates from 1847.

North Northfield Cemetery

Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, June 14, 1953; Cathy Trawinsk, 1998
Transcription, Northbrook Historical Society, 847-498-3404. Partial or complete listings for Aux Plains, Northfield Union, St. Peters, St. Mary at Techny, Sacred Heart, Northfield Oakwood, Russell at Techny, Emmanuel Lutheran (Glenview), St. John Lutheran, and Sunset Memorial cemeteries are also available.

North side of Dundee Road, 3/4 mile east of Sanders Road and two miles east of Route 45. Northfield Township, Cook County, Illinois.

Northfield Oakwood/West Northfield Cemetery

Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, October 22, 1962; Cathy Trawinski, 1998
Transcription, Northbrook Historical Society, (847)498-3404. Partial or complete listings for Aux Plains, Northfield Union, St. Peters, St. Mary at Techny, Sacred Heart, Northfield Oakwood, Russell at Techny, Emmanuel Lutheran (Glenview), St. John Lutheran, and Sunset Memorial cemeteries are also available.

Milwaukee Avenue (Route 21), south of Wheeling. Northfield Township, Cook County, Illinois.

Northfield Union Cemetery

Partial transcription, Arnett C. Lines, August 25, 1964; Cathy Trawinski, 1998
Transcription, Northbrook Historical Society, (847)498-3404. Partial or complete listings for Aux Plains, Northfield Union, St. Peters, St. Mary at Techny, Sacred Heart, Northfield Oakwood, Russell at Techny, Emmanuel Lutheran (Glenview), St. John Lutheran, and Sunset Memorial cemeteries are also available.

South side of Dundee Road, 1/4 mile west of Pfingsten Road, corner of Landwher and Dundee. Northfield Township, Cook County, Illinois.

Old Plum Grove Road Cemetery/Wolfrum Cemetery

Partial transcription, Arnett C. Lines, date unknown; Cathy Trawinski, 1999

"North east of the bridge on Old Plum Grove Rd.: So. of Palatine on South end of Theis farm (chai folks). Found a few grave stone markers. Some were broken and used as stepping stones across the creek to the West side of creek." (Arnett C. Lines) Maintained by Palatine Township, (847)358-6700.

Palatine Lutheran Cemetery

Partial transcription, Arnett C. Lines, date unknown.

Palatine, Illinois

Pioneer Cemetery

Partial transcription, Arnett C. Lines, June 29, 1963; Cathy Trawinski, 1999

Transcription and photographs, Bonnie Duresa, Novermber 20, 2010

Grounds of Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, Batavia.

St. John Nepomucene Cemetery

History, Bonnie Duresa, September, 2010
Transcription, Michelle Safirstein, July, 2004

Algonquin River Road, Barrington Hills. Algonquin Township, McHenry County, Illinois.

History

Saints Peter and Paul Church, Cary, IL, has further information on the history of St. John Nepomucene Cemetery. (Linked with permission of the Business Manager, May, 2004, all rights reserved.)

St. Paul Cemetery

Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, 1943; Cathy Trawinski, 1999
Transcription, Richard C. Price, 2002

North side of East Main Street, just east of Route 14, Barrington. Cuba Township, Lake County, Illinois. Maintained by St. Paul United Church of Christ.

History

The St. Paul congregation was organized in 1863, and land for the cemetery was purchased shortly thereafter. Many Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Church settlers are buried here. Seven Civil War veterans are buried here. There are many graves from German families who began to settle the area in the 1840's and 1850's.

Salem Cemetery

Transcription, Ed Mosteig, 2007

2200 South Plum Grove Road Rolling Meadows. Maintained by Palatine Township, (847)358-6700.

History

This cemetery dates from 1850 and was the family cemetery of Frederick and Dorothea Thies.

Sutherland Cemetery/Bennett Cemetery/Sayles/Stafles Corners Cemetery

Transcription, Michelle Safirstein, 2004
Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, April 3, 1963; Cathy Trawinski, 1999
Additional listings, Palatine Historical Society.

Old Hicks Road and Aster Avenue, east of Rand Road (Route 12), behind Menard's near Knupper's, Palatine. Palatine Township, Cook County, Illinois. Maintained by Palatine Township, (847)358-6700.

History

Sutherland Cemetery was established in 1840. The Palatine Historical Society notes show that in 1863, Silas and Lucinda Sutherland gave it to Cook County.

Volo Cemetery

Partial transcription, Arnett C. Lines, September 19, 1944; Cathy Trawinski, 1999

West side of Fox Lake Road, 1/2 block north of Route120, Volo. Wauconda Township, Lake County, Illinois. Maintained by the Wauconda Historical Association.

History

Volo Cemetery was founded in 1835. The Wauconda Historical Association read the cemetery in 1980 and worked to restore it in the 1990's. Leslie Ann Rohrer, (847)526-2881 or (847)526-2631, fax (847)587-5255, has additional information on this cemetery as well as Good Hope, Slocum, and Fischer cemeteries.

Wauconda Historic Cemetery

Partial transcription, Arnett C. Lines, September 19, 1944; Cathy Trawinski, 1999

East side of Barrington Road (Route 59), just south of Route 176, Wauconda. Wauconda Township, Lake County, Illinois. Maintained by the Wauconda Historical Association.

History

Justice Bangs purchased four acres of land to be set aside for a burial ground when Wauconda was barely inhabited. Wauconda Cemetery was established in 1850 and registered with the state of Illinois in 1873. It is the burial site of many of the town's early inhabitants and some Revolutionary and Civil War veterans. The Wauconda Historical Association read the cemetery in 1980 and restored it in 1998. Leslie Ann Rohrer, (847)526-2881 or (847)526-2631, fax (847)587-5255, has additional information on this cemetery as well as Good Hope, Slocum, and Fischer cemeteries.

White Cemetery

Transcription, Michelle Safirstein and Barrington Area Library Staff, May, 2004
Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, July 10, 1942;
Cathy Trawinski, 1998
Transcription, Arnett C. Lines, July 10, 1942; Cathy Trawinski, 1998, Janet Hardison, 2011

Additional listings, Karyn Erickson

Northeast corner of Cuba Road and Barrington Road on Prestwick Drive, Barrington, Illinois. Cuba Township, Lake County, Illinois. It is maintained by Cuba Township, and is open for burials. The gate is locked. Entry may be obtained by calling the Cuba Township office, (847)381-1924.

History

White Cemetery is the final resting place for some of Cuba and Ela Township's original settlers. T. W. White and Innis Hollister, two area farmers, charted the White Cemetery Association in 1855. Burials probably took place before then. Francis Kelsey, a veteran of the War of 1812, died in 1865 and is buried there. There are several newspaper articles from the 1970's in The Barrington Courier-Review concerning vandalism and ghosts in the cemetery. Since the township took over maintenance of the cemetery, such stories no longer appear in the newspaper.

Zion Church Cemetery

Partial transcription, Arnett C. Lines, 1963

"Dunklees Grove" S.W. of B'ville. Lutheran of Mo. Synod. Bd. individually, not in lots. This church oldest of Mo. Synod in state to celebrate 125 state anniversary - 1963 and 100 anniversary of that ch." (Arnett C. Lines, 1963)


 

LifeLock Coupon Code . steam shower whirlpool bath . http://gram-ozo.com/instagram-likes/ . human hair wigs . essay help